“PIP” stands for personal injury protection and is covered under Florida Statute Section 726.428. Sometimes referred to as “no-fault coverage”, PIP is required insurance coverage through your personal auto insurance company. Essentially, when you are involved in a car accident, PIP pays 80% of your medical expenses, lost wages, and other incidentals up to the required $10,000.00.
The legislative purpose behind the “no-fault” statute is to allow for expeditious medical treatment regardless of who was at fault. In other words, if not for the “no-fault provision,” an injured party would have to wait for a Court of Law to determine and opine on liability before an insurance carrier would tender payment for medical services rendered. In such a scenario, physicians would be hesitant to evaluate and offer treatment to an individual injured as a result of an automobile accident due to the inordinate wait to receive payment for services rendered. Additionally, such a scenario would create a serious logjam and delay in cases reaching trial. In turn, this would create an impermissible burden for consumers seeking recourse if physically injured.
If you have been injured in a crash, you must seek treatment within fourteen (14) days of the date of loss to preserve the full amount of your PIP benefits. Keep in mind that even though PIP pays 80% of your medical expenses, the remaining 20% portion still remains your responsibility. That is why you must hire a strong advocate like Christine Law, P.A. to protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve if you have been injured in a crash. Call us today for your free consultation.
Get Your Free Consultation
We provide representation for Personal Injury & PIP Litigation in Sarasota and Manatee Counties.